William George Pinder
1850 - 1936
William George Pinder was born in London, England in 1850, to Emily (nee Trutch) and Captain George Rideout Pinder of the 2nd Madras Light Infantry. Pinder grew up for a time in India as his father was there during the Indian Mutiny of 1857 but about 1860 Captain Pinder brought his son back to England on a troopship by the old sea route around the Cape of Good Hope. Pinder was educated at Blackheath Preparatory School, then at Corsham a small medieval town in northwest Wiltshire, and later studied in Heidelberg in Germany. While there he made a walking tour with two fellow students through the Black Forest and Switzerland to Lake Como in Italy and back.
In1871 he was given an appointment on the survey staff of the C.P.R., reporting to Sir Stanford Fleming in Ottawa, who sent him West to join a party organizing to start surveying a trail line for the proposed C.P. Railway from Lytton to Shuswap Lake. At the end of the year, the party returned to Victoria to plot their field notes. His uncle, Sir Joseph Trutch, the Governor of the Crown Colony of British Columbia, was also in Victoria at the time. In 1872 he worked as a leveler, and for four years was employed on trail lines and locations up the North Thompson to Albreda Lake and Tete Jaune Cache, and from Hope on the Fraser River, up the Coquihalla River to the Summit. Later he was employed by the C.P.R. on trail lines from the head of Dean Channel up the Kimsquit River and Dean River. When construction was commenced at Yale he was appointed Assistant Engineer and spent two years there until its completion.
In addition to his railway work he was engaged on the International Boundary Survey of the 49th parallel at Point Roberts; was employed on the construction of the E. & N. Railway from Esquimalt to above the Malahat, and the extension from Esquimalt to Victoria. After the completion of the railroad he had charge, including location, of the line from Nanaimo to Comox in connection with the Dunsmuir Collieries. He was then in charge of this line for sixteen years after its completion.
After severing his connection with the Dunsmuir Collieries, he went into general practice as Engineer and Land Surveyor, doing work all over the Province. He made surveys at Kitsalas Canyon in 1904 for the Lands and Works Department, and also at Fort Simpson, Work Channel, Portland Canal and Graham Island, and in the Northern Interior.
In 1876 he married Anne Marie Henrietta Devereux, daughter of Captain John Devereux the dockmaster at Esquimalt, and they had four children. Upon his retirement in 1923 he moved in with his son Frank and remained with him until his death in May 1936, at the age of eighty-six. Pinder was a member of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers and his name first appeared on the first published list of Provincial Land Surveyors in 1891. In January 1936 a peak formally known as Province Mountain by The Province Exploring Expedition of 1894, was called Pinder Mountain after William George Pinder, but in 1950 the name was changed to Pinder Peak.